Tuesday 3 July 2012

Are We Doubting Thomases?



I had only just heard about the appointment of Archbishop Müller yesterday, as the Prefect for the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, and already I began to see various blogs and articles expressing concern about his appointment.  What I found so incredibly amusing was that it seemed that people from both ends of the scale were concerned about the fact that Pope Benedict XVI had appointment him.

On one end of the scale, I read the complaints of writers who are gravely concerned because, in their opinion, Archbishop Müller is too liberal.  On the other end of the scale are those writers who feel that Archbishop Müller is too conservative.  I suppose what we have here is one of the stark realities of life:  You can make some of the people happy for some of the time, but you can never make all of the people happy all of the time!

You have got to love our Church.  It is so full of so many diverse opinions.  Never short of people who are always so certain, that they know what it is that should be done or should not be done.

What was sadly lacking, in all of the blogs and articles that I read, was any inkling of faith in the promises of our Lord to protect His Church.  There was not one Catholic blog or article that I read, which stopped, even for a just a moment, and called on Catholics to pray for Archbishop Müller as he takes on the responsibilities of his new office. 

This is so sad.  Surely today, on the Feast of St Thomas, of all days, we do not need some special sign to remind us that there is far more to all this than what we can observe naturally?  Have we really forgotten about the supernatural element?  Have we forgotten our Lords words to the Apostles, and in turn to their successors: “He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me.[1] 



[1] Luke 10: 16

No comments:

Post a Comment