Sunday 9 March 2014

Sex In Heaven


Are our souls genderless? This question was prompted by a tweet from someone who I follow on Twitter. The tweet read: “Ironic that many 'religious' people disapprove of same-sex unions. Yet believe that the 'soul' is genderless.

After a moments reflection I responded to the tweet as follows: “For the record, Catholics are not among those 'religious' who believe the soul is gender neutral.

We are specifically taught in the Catechism of the Catholic Church that: “Sexuality affects all aspects of the human person in the unity of his body and soul.[i] 

Part of my identity as Mark Nel is that I am a male. Therefore my soul must also have as its identify that same gender. The fact that it is my body, not my soul, that has my sexual organs, doesn't change the fact that my soul still identifies completely as me, a male.

I began trying to write an explanation but then fortunately came across something that Peter Kreeft wrote on this topic entitled “Is there sex in heaven?” He does the subject far more credit than I could ever. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment