Monday 17 September 2012

Do We Keep Our Nose Out Of It?



Is it only me who sometimes wonders whether I should just keep my mouth shut about some of the unethical and immoral things that I witness in the world?  After all, at the end of the day, it has got nothing to do with me.  Its just between them and God; or is it?

As an example, on Sky News this morning there is a report that the current ban on three parent IVF babies[1] could shortly be unbanned.  This would pave the way for babies to be ‘produced’ from three parents.  I am personally horrified!  My gut instinct is that this is immoral!  The question is what to do about it?  Also, does it actually have anything to do with me?  Shouldn’t I just leave them to answer for their own actions!

The first reading from the office of Matins for this morning is from Ezekiel 2: 8 and 3: 11, 16 - 21.  Below is part of that reading.  I leave you to ponder my question and your answer.

After seven days the word of the Lord was addressed to me as follows, ‘Son of man, I have appointed you as sentry to the House of Israel.  Whenever you hear a word from me, warn them in my Name.  If I say to a wicked man, “You are to die,” and you do not warn him; if you do not speak and warn him to renounce his evil ways and so live, then he shall die for his sin, but I will hold you responsible for his death.  If, however, you do warn a wicked man and he does not renounce his wickedness and his evil ways, then he shall die for his sin, but you yourself will have saved your life.  When the upright man renounces his integrity to do evil and I set a trap for him, he too shall die; since you failed to warn him, he shall die for his sin and the integrity he practised will no longer be remembered; but I will hold you responsible for his death.  If, however, you warn the upright man not to sin and he abstains from sinning, he shall live, thanks to your warning, and you too will have saved your life.’[2]

No comments:

Post a Comment