Thursday 15 August 2013

Red-faced Mousebird


Red-faced Mousebird

Until now I have only ever seen the ‘Speckled’ variety of Mousebird in my garden. There are literally dozens of them and they look so cute, scurrying around inside the bushes. It is easy to see why the name Mousebird was given to them. I often think they look like little mice playing in the bushes.

Yesterday I was surprised when, while I was watching a few Mousebird playing in the birdbath, I noticed that two of them had red on their faces. I have never seen this before.
 
Red-faced Mousebird
I had no idea what type of birds these were. Since they looked so much like the Speckled Mousebird, I assumed they were probably a variety of the Mousebird. My wife joked that it was probably a ‘red masked’ Mousebird or something like that.
 
Red-faced Mousebird
She wasn’t far off. It turns out that they are in fact the ‘Red-faced Mousebird’. 

I love the number of birds that I have in my back garden and what is really fantastic is how the more time I spend in it leads to me discovering more birds. Just reminds me again of how we are oblivious to the beauty that is all around us. We are too busy scurrying around with the business of the modern world - TV, movies, shopping malls, restaurants and goodness knows what else. We need to slow down and take stock of what we really have.

Speckled Mousebird

Remember, if you click on the photos above you should get a larger and clearer image.